from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large, long-legged North American bird (Grus americana), now very rare, having predominantly white plumage and a loud trumpeting cry.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Grus americana, a kind of bird.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- a North American crane (Crus Americana) noted for the loud, whooplike note which it utters.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The large white crane of North America, Grus americana, noted for its loud raucous cry. See crane (with cut).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. rare North American crane having black-and-white plumage and a trumpeting call
Sorry, no etymologies found.