from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of wick.
- n. The material of which wicks are made, especially a loosely braided or twisted cord or tape of cotton.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the material of which wicks are made; esp., a loosely braided or twisted cord or tape of cotton.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In lawn-bowls, the act of caroming from one ball lying near the jack, with the effect that one's own balls lie nearer the jack than those of one's opponents: more fully termed in-and-out wicking.
- n. The material of which wicks are made, as in long pieces which can be cut at pleasure.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Also, Fenson, in wicking back the U.S. stone, knocked the remaining British stone out of the house to score four points and the U.S. jumped to a 6-1 lead.
I put antiperspirant on the bottoms of my feet to slow sweating a bit, wear thin wicking socks under my thicker socks, wear loose fiiting foot wear so not to constrict blood flow, put baking soda in my boots or waders to help absorb sweat and scent, never use any clothing in winter that hs cotton in the list of materials, bring a change of socks and gloves to change through out the day, wear a hand warmer around my waist with air activated hand warmers inside and lastly I try to keep my head and neck well insulated as most of my body heat is lost from these two areas.
When you sweat, cotton fibers will absorb the fluid, "wicking" the droplets away from your body.
The line also features performance aspects such as wicking and moisture-management technology.
And these "wicking" jammies for menopausal women will keep you cool through the hottest flash (wildbleu. com).
The 90s were years away, and nobody was wearing any "wicking" fabric, and in fact, I was wearing a ski bib.
"You want those kids to make contact and go hard, but kids don't really understand how to dress for practice," Smith coach Rodney Brewington said, mentioning that some teams, including his, order "wicking" shirts and shorts designed to pull heat and moisture away from the body.
Due to the tighness of the tape and the viscosity of most VPI resins little to no "wicking" occurs.
Wilson Staff Bag Towel The Wilson Micro fiber Towel is 7 times more absorbent than cotton, while 'wicking' away water 3 times faster than cotton.
"wicking" effect, so that it travels 10 000 times as fast as it can in the fuel itself.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.