from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Games A playing card whose value can vary as determined by its holder.
- n. Sports An athlete or team selected to compete in a tournament or playoff from among those who did not qualify by meeting the regular requirements.
- n. Computer Science A symbol that stands for one or more unspecified characters, used especially in searching text and in selecting multiple files or directories.
- n. Slang An unpredictable or unforeseeable factor: A surprise witness proved to be the wild card at the trial.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A character that takes the place of any other character or string that is not known or specified.
- n. An uncontrolled or unpredictable element.
- n. An element, often deliberately concealed, which is withheld for contingency.
- n. Alternative form of wild card.
Sorry, no etymologies found.