from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A meteorological diagram depicting the distribution of wind direction and speed at a location over a period of time.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A diagram in which the speed and direction of the winds at a particular location are represented by lines of varying thickness and length superimposed on a compass rose.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a table of the points of the compass, giving the states of the barometer, etc., connected with winds from the different directions.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A table or diagram showing the relative frequency of winds blowing from the different points of the compass, or the relative amount of total wind-movement for each direction; also, a table or diagram showing the connection between the wind-direction and any other meteorological element: thus, a thermal wind-rose shows the average temperature prevailing with winds from different directions.
- n. See rose and Rœmeria.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. weather map showing the frequency and strength of winds from different directions
Translation of German Windrose, compass card : Wind, wind, air + Rose, rose.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.