from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A frequently cultivated Eurasian plant (Physalis alkekengi) having small red berries enclosed in inflated papery orange-red seed cases. Also called Chinese lantern plant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. bladder cherry
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a plant (Physalis Alkekengi) of the Nightshade family, which has, a red berry inclosed in the inflated and persistent calyx. See Alkekengi.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See alkekengi and strawberry-tomato.
- n. See Solarium.
- n. Same as heartseed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small South American shrub cultivated as a houseplant for its abundant ornamental but poisonous red or yellow cherry-sized fruit
- n. Old World perennial cultivated for its ornamental inflated papery orange-red calyx
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.