from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To kill (plants, for example) by exposing to extremely cold winter weather.
- intransitive v. To die from exposure to cold winter weather. Used especially of plants.
- n. Death, as of plants, resulting from exposure to winter weather.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The mortality resulting from lethal wintry conditions among a human, animal, and/or vegetal population.
- v. To kill by the conditions of winter, especially the effect of the cold, freezing.
- v. To die from the above effects of winter conditions.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To kill by the cold, or exposure to the inclemency of winter.
- intransitive v. To die as the result of exposure to the cold of winter.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To kill by cold in winter: as, to winter-kill wheat or clover.
winter + kill (Wiktionary)