from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A gauge for measuring the diameter of wire, usually consisting of a disk having variously sized slots in its periphery or a long graduated plate with similar slots along its edge.
- n. A standardized system of wire sizes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a gauge for determining the diameter of wire or the thickness of sheet metal; also, a standard of size. See under Wire.
- n. A standard series of sizes arbitrarily indicated, as by numbers, to which the diameter of wire or the thickness of sheet metal in usually made, and which is used in describing the size or thickness. There are many different standards for wire gauges, as in different countries, or for different kinds of metal, the Birmingham wire gauges and the American wire gauge being often used and designated by the abbreviations B. W. G. and A. W. G. respectively.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. gauge for measuring the diameter of wire
Sorry, no etymologies found.