American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Scots Blame; fault.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To observe; keep; guard; preserve; protect.
- l. To impute (to one) as a fault; blame for; blame (that): governing directly a noun or clause, and taking an indirect object in the dative.
- To impute wrong to; find fault with; blame; censure.
- n. Blame; censure; reproach; fault.
- n. Punishment; penalty; mulct; fine: in old Eng. criminal law, a fine paid to the king or other lord in respect of an offense.
- To go.
- n. An obsolete form of wit.
- v. To blame; regard as guilty, fault, accuse
- v. To reproach, censure, mulct
- v. To observe, keep, guard, preserve, protect
- n. Blame, responsibility, guilt
- n. Punishment, penalty, fine, bote, mulct
- v. To go, go away, depart, perish, vanish
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. Obs. or Scot. To reproach; to blame; to censure; also, to impute as blame.
- n. Obs. or Scot. Blame; reproach.
- From Old English witan (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old English wīte, penalty; see weid- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“*notices tall blonde in wite and notices her name as tall blonde in wite*”
“December 13th, 2009 at 2:07 am im a student and it is so hard for me to not wite is short hand / intenet lingo”
“We need to unite this party so we can take back the wite house and try to right the wongs that this country has been going through over the past 8 years.”
“SOO! she cant win, she will loose 2 remaining contest, she trails in superdelegates, delegates, and also popular vote if we count florida but not michigan where barack obama was not in the ballot, shes desperate, what else can we say, better wite about 4 new superdelegates on obamas favor to have a new total of 1982, 42 to go”
“It seems to me that between a careful 'scrape off' and an even more careful 'wite out' the 'new' customer could come away with a fairly decent cake... but there is NO incentive to spend the time or effort when the bakery knows that people will buy the poorly "redone" cakes!”
“Anni in a wite owtfit wit teh red sash runrunrunning in adn owt uf teh dubbloldekker busses!”
“Pritty bebbeh haz de floofy wite skarf an littlol wite pawz.”
“If der iz teh wite rugz teh hyoominz gitz eggztra pointz foar hazzing teh BC frennly haws.”
“See, mai teef aer nyse nd wite nd SHARP so no need v.e.t. to kleenify them!”
“Mai ginga nd wite tux kittee lubbd laps nd libd a lawng tiem!”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘wite’.
Words that can replace Latinates.
dis iz y u cant spel
with wit mess (between less & ness)
A list of words that WWF recognizes as valid - most are unusual words; some are simply high-scoring.
Words that I come across, and go blank, or want to clarify.
Well everyone's lists are favourites or pets or useful terms, no? These are mine.
visions of witfulness and vision - a wise guise
Looking for tweets for wite.