from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A brightly colored American duck (Aix sponsa) that nests in hollow trees and the male of which is noted for its large crest.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A colorful North American duck, Aix sponsa, that nests in hollow trees
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The Australian maned goose (Chlamydochen jubata).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The maned goose, Bernicla jubata, found in southern Australia.
- n. The summer duck, Aix sponsa: more fully called crested wood-duck, and also bridal duck, acorn-duck, tree-duck, wood-widgeon, and widgeon.
- n. The hooded merganser, Lophodytes cucullatus. Also tree-duck. See cut under merganser.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. showy North American duck that nests in hollow trees
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.