Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Formerly, a member of various bodies of light infantry in the armies of different German states, recruited largely from foresters, etc.; now, a member of certain special battalions or corps of infantry or cavalry, generally organized as riflemen.
- n. Same as jäger.
- n. US, obsolete A heavy, muzzle-loading hunting rifle
- n. A Jäger, an elite soldier of the Austrian army
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Mil.) In the German army, one belonging to a body of light infantry armed with rifles, resembling the
chasseurof the French army.
- From the German Jäger (Wiktionary)
“Hans carried a light fowling-piece, while Hendrik's gun was a stout rifle of the kind known as a "yager" -- an excellent gun for large game.”
“And before us fled Indian and Tory, yager and renegade, Greens, Rangers, Highlanders, officers galloping madly, baggage-wagons smashed, horses down, camp trampled to tatters and splinters as the vengeance of Tryon County passed in a tornado of fury that cleansed the land forever of Walter Butler and his demons of the”
“The young man had an idea that as soon as he became a little taller and could take down the heavy gun, an old "United States yager" with a big bore, bloodshed would follow in great quantities.”
“We were each armed with a Mississippi yager and two Colt's revolvers.”
“Not the wild yager on his gait to perdition, rode so fearfully.”
“But one of the rifles carried by Fordham, was the German yager, short, and with a strap attached, which the overseer contrived to bind pretty close to his body, and beneath it, when he crawled; the stock being just under his left shoulder.”
“Many present identify it as the yager usually carried by”
“There are fourscore of them; and but that each carries a yager rifle in his hand, a knife in his belt, and a”
“All three were for a short while together -- Hendrik holding his yager cocked and ready, while Swartboy grasped his bow and arrows.”
“Hendrik dismounted, hooked his rein over one of these forks; rested his yager across another; and then, sighting the shaft of the arrow, pulled trigger.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘yager’.
Words with outlandic (foreign) meanings.
Sharpshooters and the like.
Looking for tweets for yager.