from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In ueaving, the beam on which the warp-threads are wound. Also called yarn-roll.


Sorry, no etymologies found.


  • From post to post across one end, which may be called the back part of the loom, is the yarn-beam, about six inches in diameter.

    Home Life in Colonial Days

  • The yarn-beam or yarn-roll or warp-beam was ever a very important part of the loom.

    Home Life in Colonial Days

  • Without attempting to explain farther, let us consider the yarn-beam neatly wound with these warp-threads and set in the loom -- that the

    Home Life in Colonial Days

  • "Rathbun did so and what we saw was a yarn-beam mounted on a pair of oxcart wheels with the tongue of the cart resting on the ground behind."

    The Duke of Stockbridge

  • His glance had followed Abner's to the loom standing in the back of the kitchen, and as he answered his lieutenant he was fixedly regarding the very yarn-beam to which the other had alluded, a round, smooth, dark colored wooden roller, five or six feet long and eight or ten inches through.

    The Duke of Stockbridge

Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.