American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of various yellow or mostly yellow birds, such as the goldfinch or the yellow warbler.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of several different birds of a yellow or golden color. In Great Britain, the golden oriole, Oriolus galbula. Montagu. See first cut under
- n. The yellow warbler
- n. the American goldfinch
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The American goldfinch, or thistle bird. See goldfinch.
- n. The common yellow warbler; -- called also
summer yellowbird. See Illust.of Yellow warbler, under yellow, a.
- n. American finch whose male has yellow body plumage in summer
- n. yellow-throated American wood warbler
“As he was coming to school today he saw a little yellowbird fly from the bushes by the big tree at the corner of Mr. Brown's yard.”
“The red-bird, the yellowbird, the indigo-bird, the oriole, the cardinal grosbeak, and others, all birds of brilliant plumage and musical ability, seem quite unconscious of self, and neither by tone nor act challenge the admiration of the beholder.”
“The notes of the phoebe-bird, the purple finch, the swallow, the yellowbird, the kingbird, the robin, and others, are rendered with perfect distinctness and accuracy, but not a word of the bobolink's, though the lark must have heard its song every day for four successive summers.”
“About the most noticeable bird of August in New York and New England is the yellowbird, or goldfinch.”
“The yellowbird becomes active and conspicuous after the other birds have nearly all withdrawn from the stage and become silent, their broods reared and flown.”
“The redbird, the yellowbird, the indigo-bird, the oriole, the cardinal grosbeak, and others, all birds of brilliant plumage and musical ability, seem quite unconscious of self, and neither by tone nor act challenge the admiration of the beholder.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘yellowbird’.
birds with singular names from
at least 9 English dictionaries
Another of my random palavery lists for terms and phrases that don't fit into any of my other lists.
Looking for tweets for yellowbird.