American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The seventh letter of the Hebrew alphabet. See Table at alphabet.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The seventh letter of the Hebrew alphabet, corresponding to the English z. Its numerical value is 7.
- n. The seventh letter of many Semitic alphabets (Phoenician, Aramaic, Hebrew, Syriac, Arabic and others).
- n. the 7th letter of the Hebrew alphabet
- From Proto-Semitic word for "sword" or other weapon. (Wiktionary)
- Hebrew, of Phoenician origin; see zyn in Semitic roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“For what it’s worth, my wife reiterates her point that “neshek,” not zayin, is the Hebrew word for “weapon,” and adds that it’s very, very rare to hear any of the other terms the reader mentions in modern Hebrew.”
“For a brief introduction and a glossary of Hebrew and Aramaic words, see the first installment. yod zayin”
“She rests it there, as if warming herself on a cook-pot. tet zayin”
“For a moment, he watches them rise and fall, gently, with her breathing. kaf zayin”
“She waits patiently, smiling, encouraging; but her smile is dimming, her limbs growing cold, her breath thin, quick -- mem zayin”
“May 3, 2007 at 3:53 am elfinugget, ai noze whut u meen. doze restrawntz whut letz u driiiiive into demz r teh shizzle! taeks dubble + willpowrz to drive past n all u heerz is frenchifriz zayin, nooo! do not drive past! iz hard wrk!”
“Anyone who confuses zayin and tziyoan to make a silly political point is aboob.”
“Zion actually means a “designated area or sign post,” which sounds similar to zayin, which means a weapon or penis, according to Rabbi Charles Sheer, the former Jewish chaplain at Columbia.”
“One of the assigned readings by Israeli scholar and feminist Simona Sharoni spoke of how in Hebrew the word “zayin” means both penis and weapon in a discussion of Israeli militarised masculinity.”
“The derivation I heard was that in early Israeli slang the word zanav, ‘tail’, was used for penis, and when that started to seem too improper, the first letter of the word, zayin, was euphemistically substituted for it, which in due course has become the only colloquial word for it (with no trace of this sense remaining inzanav).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘zayin’.
revising for a competition 30 games
in 24 hours
5-Letter words with J, X, Q or Z
ADDAX ADMIX AFFIX ANNEX ATAXY AUXIN AXELS AXIAL AXILE AXILS A...
See also The Phonetic alphabet by oroboros.
Looking for tweets for zayin.