American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The thick, solid, transparent outer membrane of a developed mammalian ovum. Also called oolemma.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Biol.) The zona radiata.
- n. thick membrane around the mammalian ovum; can be penetrated by one sperm in the fertilization process; usually remains around the fertilized egg until it is implanted in the wall of the uterus
- Latin zōna ("zone") + pellūcida ("transparent"). (Wiktionary)
- New Latin zōna pellūcida : Latin zōna, belt, girdle + Latin pellūcida, feminine of pellūcidus, transparent. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
‘zona pellucida’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for zona pellucida.