from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- An island country in the Caribbean Sea south of Florida. Originally settled by Arawak Indians, it was discovered by Columbus in 1492 and was colonized by Spain beginning in 1511. Spain relinquished its control of Cuba in 1898 as a result of the Spanish-American War, and following a three-year occupation by U.S. forces, the island became self-governing in 1902. Fulgencio Batista dominated the government of Cuba from 1933 until 1959, when he was ousted by Fidel Castro. Havana is the capital and the largest city. Population: 11,400,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A country and the largest island in the Caribbean. Official name: Republic of Cuba.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- proper n. a country on the island of Cuba.
- proper n. the largest island in the West Indies.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the largest island in the West Indies
- n. a communist state in the Caribbean on the island of Cuba
DAN ERIKSON, AUTHOR, "THE CUBA WARS": Americans tourists traveling to Cuba, drive around on Chinese buses, stay in Spanish hotels, eat Canadian food.
DAN ERIKSON, AUTHOR, "THE CUBA WARS": So you have American tourists traveling on to Cuba, to drive around on Chinese buses, stay in Spanish hotels, eat Canadian food.
ANN LOUISE BARDACH, BROOKINGS CUBA STUDY PROJECT: Well, there's no question that Cuba looks forward to having increased travel and contact with the U.S.
DAN ERICKSON, AUTHOR, "THE CUBA WARS": So, you have American tourists traveling on to Cuba to drive around on Chinese buses, stay in Spanish hotels, eat Canadian food.
RAUL CASTRO, PRESIDENT OF CUBA (through translator): They didn't elect me president to restore capitalism to Cuba, nor to surrender the revolution.
From Teddy Roosevelt to Jimmy Buffett, with contributions from Ernest Hemingway, Meyer Lansky and the U.S. officers who first mixed rum and Coke to form a cuba libre, Americans have spent nearly a century confused about whether Cuba is really a foreign country at all.
Had too much wine but there was a cuba event, Operation something where the Pentagon planned to down one of our own planes and blame it on Castro to start a war with Cuba.
MINISTERS AND SECOND SECRETARY OF THE COMMUNIST PARTY OF CUBA CENTRAL COMMITTEE yohandryweb. wordpress.com Publicado el Abril 4, 2010 por Yohandry Fontana As I said at the beginning, the celebration of this Congress has coincided with a huge smearing campaign against Cuba, a campaign orchestrated, directed and financed by the imperial power centers in the United States and Europe, hypocritically waging the banners of human rights.
CUBA NIGHTS -- I had this lovely texture with clear sparkly beads and alovely bright flower print from a vintage dress and reminds me of Cuba.
HAVANA, CUBA (BosNewsLife) -- An influential blind Christian human rights lawyer in Cuba, who is serving a four