from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- abbr. The symbol for the element darmstadtium.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Symbol for darmstadtium.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An abbreviation of days' sights, common in commercial writings: as, a bill payable at 10 d/s. (that is, ten days after sight).
- n. An abbreviation of Distinguished Service Order.
- n. An abbreviation of discharged to sick quarters.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a radioactive transuranic element
- n. the bureau in the State Department that is responsible for the security of diplomats and embassies overseas
- n. an honorary degree in science
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I've said before that Ds is not something I'd wish for my best friend -- wouldn't want them to have the heartache -- nor my worst enemy -- wouldn't want them to receive such a blessing.
I think I've consulted the experts, Jason Kingsley and Mitchell Levitz; and they told me, wrote, that Ds is a hard thing to deal with, but they were handling it okay.
I know I've seen a number of new or relatively new parents who seem to come to the conclusion that Ds is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
But they still have to deal with the difficulties, limitations, differences imposed on them by Ds. So, no, Ds is not something I'd wish on nor for anyone.
The delusion is so salient that it is painful to read, even down to the determined alliteration of the three "Ds" - "disrupt, dismantle, and defeat".
Dinish - do you call the Ds leaders stopping all their members even talking about social security - effectively silencing them and their first amendment rights rubber stamping?
Although sadly I'm not actually affected by the price hike on larger bras, it seems very unfair to punish women for the size of their breasts - just as long as they don't put the price of smaller bras up to match the double Ds, that is.
I know of one pol who won't hesitate calling the Ds to the floor -
I just tried to call the Ds and they appear to be caucusing right now, as I write this.
Hence the femlly took tbe name Ds PxBCY, and not from one of tbem fiehc: no a King of Scotland's