from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The German internal security police as organized under the Nazi regime, known for its terrorist methods directed against those suspected of treason or questionable loyalty.
- n. A police organization that employs terroristic methods to control a populace.
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of the German security police organized under the Nazi regime.
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of terroristic police methods or operations: gestapo tactics.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The secret police of the Nazi party in the Second World War
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the secret state police in Nazi Germany; known for its terrorist methods
The word "Gestapo" is short for the German words "Geheime Staatspolizei", which is translated "secret police of the state".
And for the second time in a week open borders advocates used the term Gestapo-like to describe federal law enforcement agents.
The word Gestapo frightened me more than my injuries.
Sanders later said he was speaking for himself, but didn't back down on using the term Gestapo that is associated with Adolf Hitler's Nazi Germany.
Some of you recoil at the term Gestapo but I think that that is apropos for what is being talked about here.
Youlus, an Orthodox rabbi and sofer, or Torah scribe, told his well-intentioned but gullible marks, among other things, that he had found two such Torah scrolls buried in what he called a "Gestapo body bag" in a Ukrainian mass-grave of murdered Jews.
SCHIAVONE: A statement by a coalition of self-described immigrant rights groups criticized what it called Gestapo-like police actions targeting illegal aliens and their employers.
He also complained about what he called Gestapo-styled security at the Bloemfontein conference where PASO members were manhandled.
Many of the respondents in this group linked their indifference to the risks inherent in adopting another, more sympathetic, view: The Gestapo is very sensitive about it.
Getting shut down by the parking Gestapo is a universal human experience, one that transcends language.