from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- The capital and largest city of Nova Scotia, Canada, in the south-central part of the province on the Atlantic Ocean. Founded in 1749, it served as an important naval base in the American Revolution, the War of 1812, and both World Wars. Population: 373,000.
- A borough of northeast England northeast of Manchester. It is an industrial center. Population: 83,500.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. An industrial town in Yorkshire England, 20km south-east of Leeds
- proper n. Capital city of Nova Scotia, Canada.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. provincial capital and largest city of Nova Scotia
HALIFAX -- The Prime Minister's Office says published reports suggesting Stephen Harper will pay a visit to Halifax today are wrong.
Settle's was of course a mercenary pen, and it is amusing to note that after ridiculing Halifax here he was quite prepared to publish, fourteen years later, _Sacellum Apollinare: a Funeral Poem to the Memory of that Great Statesman, George Late Marquiss of Halifax_, and on this count his place among Pope's Dunces seems merited.
HALIFAX - The driver of a car is in custody after leading police on a two-hour chase on several highways around the Halifax area.
HALIFAX, N.S. - The mayor of Halifax has apologized to the residents and descendants of Africville, a black community that was razed four decades ago.
HALIFAX (CP) - The federal government was wrong to put next month's G-7 summit in Halifax because the city needs too many government-funded fixups, says a national taxpayers 'lobby group.
HALIFAX - About 200 protesters demonstrated Sunday against this week's upcoming gathering of G8 development ministers in Halifax.
HALIFAX - An English oak tree was planted on the grounds of Nova Scotia's Government House today in a ceremony honouring the Queen's visit to Halifax.
HALIFAX - After a six-month mission, HMCS Fredericton returned to Halifax today.
HALIFAX - Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip received a royal salute Tuesday as they boarded the frigate HMCS St. John's in Halifax harbour to review the large armada of warships assembled to mark the 100th anniversary of the Canadian Navy.
HALIFAX -- After nearly two years of running biodiesel in a fleet of buses, something is starting to smell fishy in the city of Halifax.