from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Formerly Pleasant IslandNauru An island country of the central Pacific Ocean just south of the equator and west of Kiribati. Inhabited by a population of mainly Polynesian ancestry, Nauru was explored by the British in 1798 and became a German protectorate in 1888. Nauru was administered by Australia from 1914 until it became independent in 1968. The capital is Yaren. Population: 13,500.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A country in Oceania. Official name: Republic of Nauru.
- proper n. The island on which the country is located.
- proper n. Nauruan, the language of Nauru
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an island republic on Nauru Island; phosphate exports support the economy
- n. a small island in the central Pacific Ocean 2,800 miles to the southwest of Hawaii; in Micronesia to the west of the Gilbert Islands
It is not correct to say based on that advice that for example Nauru, which is Mr Abbott's plan, could be proceeded with without legal risk, and the solicitor-general points to that legal risk,'' she said.
He promises he would call Nauru on his first day in the job.
Announcing his government would introduce new minimum and non-parole periods for people-smuggling offences, Mr Abbott said on day one he would call the Nauru President to start talks to re-open the offshore processing centre there.
Raised atolls, such as Nauru and Niue, were produced when geologic action elevated the coral limestone above the surrounding sea.
GRAEME DOBELL: Let’s look at Nauru, which is entering a new phase in its relationship with Australia.
The Opposition Leader, Tony Abbott, flirts with the idea of sending asylum seekers to other countries such as Nauru without explicitly promising a return to the '' Pacific solution ''.
Australia set up immigration processing centres in other countries, such as Nauru and Papua
On one hand the Coalition were sending troops to deal with conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, yet when people came from those countries seeking protection they were treated as if they had been involved in criminal activity and sent to isolated places such as Nauru with little recognition that they were in need of protection.
He writes: 'On one hand the Coalition were sending troops to deal with conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, yet when people came from those countries seeking protection they were treated as if they had been involved in criminal activity and sent to isolated places such as Nauru with little recognition that they were in need of protection.
Having made Tarawa (Kiribati) scenery I began designing Nauru which is the next stop of the classic flight from Australia in the south pacific (Air Nauru, etc), I did the terrain which was the most important thing and the airport is relatively basic since I didnt have enough pictures of it, so the ` star ` here is the other scenery, Tarawa, to sum it up, I did this to have some company for Tarawa which is available at avsim. com also.