above the fold love


from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • adjective newspapers Situated in the upper half of the front page of a broadsheet newspaper, and thus more prominent, as the lower half is not usually visible when the folded newspaper is displayed for sale.
  • adjective web design By extension, situated near the top of a web page; not requiring scrolling. See above the scroll.
  • adjective Anything similarly occupying an exclusive position of relative prominence


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Newspaper speak for stories that appear on the top half of the front page (or the front of a section), so that they're visible when the paper is folded. Webspeak for content that's visible on a web page without having to scroll.

    September 9, 2007

  • It's interesting how many of these older print terms have been picked up for computer use--even back to "cutting" and "pasting" in word processing documents. Who actually cuts and pastes anymore? And where's the fold on a web page? ;-)

    September 9, 2007

  • Why, it's always at the bottom of the top of the page, silly! Rilly!

    September 9, 2007

  • You're right, I so associate cut and paste with ctrl-c and -v that I forget they're something you can do to paper.

    In the early nineties some friends and I did a 'zine, and we had one issue printed with offset lithography (the rest were xeroxed). We had to make a proper pasteup for the printer, and it felt archaic even then.

    September 9, 2007

  • I always associate cut and paste with highlight and middle click. I understand the use of cut, but who ever actually used paste?

    September 9, 2007

  • Ah, un*x. I just got out-geeked! It's only a matter of time before someone says we should properly be talking about 'yank', and from there it's a slippery slope until we're calling each other Nazis :-)

    Uh, it feels inappropriate to be following the word Nazi with a smiley.

    September 9, 2007

  • Er...I used paste, seanahan. Rilly. I mean actual glue.

    Yep, those were the days.

    John, do you really think we've come that far in this discussion? Maybe you've been watching the Hitlery Channel too much. ;-)

    September 9, 2007

  • 'Hitlery Channel', that's hysterical. Reesetee, you should wordie that!

    September 10, 2007