from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The scientific study of sound, especially of its generation, transmission, and reception.
- n. The total effect of sound, especially as produced in an enclosed space: "Such annoyances are frequently caused by flaws in the acoustics rather than the performers” ( Mel Gussow).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The physical quality of a space for performing music.
- n. The science of sounds, teaching their nature, phenomena and laws.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The science of sounds, teaching their nature, phenomena, and laws.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The science of sound; the study of the cause, nature, and phenomena of the vibrations of elastic bodies which affect the organ of hearing.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the study of the physical properties of sound
We teach pre-degree, degree and postgraduate courses in acoustics, audio and video.
Salford has been carrying out teaching, research and consultancy in acoustics and audio for three decades.
Edward takes his music really seriously, having his room designed to achieve better acoustics from a particularly sophisticated sound-system.
Despite the Bowl's heritage and charm, the acoustics are awful, the amplification seems to make things worse, and there is perhaps no single venue in the country more dedicated to Americans 'need to eat everywhere at all times.
It was at the Opera House, so of course the acoustics were amazing.
P It is no mean desire, "Mouse", I must say - and I would urge strongly that you attempt the experiment - it were safer for your own welfare that you toss that "brick" at a cliff than at the noble noodle of that amiable "Krazy Kat" - and at the same time I deem it a not unworthy assay in "acoustics" - yeh-h
My first impressions of the acoustics were a bit mixed.
Some rules apply to a Divine Home; if the home is built in an old place of devotion, keeping high ceilings and taking advantage of the acoustics is a must; some of the best modern interiors are designed inside these structures.
The acoustics was a persistent problem, but the moderator said it was the only place that would hold the large number of people that were expected.
It will also measure vibro acoustics, which is the humming that motorists hear when they speed along I-64 with the window slightly lowered.