from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The physics of the earth and its environment, including the physics of fields such as meteorology, oceanography, and seismology.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A branch of earth science dealing with the physical processes and phenomena occurring in the earth and in its vicinity.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A branch of geology that uses physical principles to study the properties of the earth.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Physics of the earth: same as physiography.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. geology that uses physical principles to study properties of the earth
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Surely, you must have a PhD in geophysics, Big Guy.
Professor Leo J. Peters, under whom his research in geophysics was done, took a position at the Gulf Research Laboratories in
Professor Leo J. Peters, under whom the research in geophysics was done, took a position at the Gulf Research Laboratories in
I have found many people trained in geophysics who are now practising law.
This small group, as an example, has men working on six continents, working in geophysics, but working in many other fields.
Delta is in the process of planning its winter program of ground and airborne geophysics, which is expected to lead to a spring diamond drilling program.
Petroleum engineering requires a good knowledge of many other related disciplines, such as geophysics, petroleum geology, formation evaluation (well logging), drilling, economics, reservoir simulation, well engineering, artificial lift systems, and oil and gas facilities engineering.
The scholars were not bonded, except where they had skills essential to Petronas such as geophysics or petroleum engineering.
Perhaps IG should put up a post on petrochemical engineering, or subsea geophysics?
Irmis, a professor of geology and geophysics at the University of Utah.