from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun An adjutant of a unit having a general staff.
- noun An officer in charge of the National Guard in one of the US states.
- noun The chief administrative officer, a major general, of the US Army.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun Milit., a staff-officer, the chief assistant of a commanding general in the execution of his military duties, as in issuing and executing orders, receiving and registering reports, regulating details of the service, etc.
- noun Eccles., a title mistakenly given by translators to the assistants of the general of the Jesuits. See
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a general's adjutant; chief administrative officer
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.