from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An adjutant of a unit having a general staff.
- n. An officer in charge of the National Guard in one of the U.S. states.
- n. The chief administrative officer, a major general, of the U.S. Army.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. one of a select number of fathers, who resided with the general of the order, each of whom had a province or country assigned to his care.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Milit., a staff-officer, the chief assistant of a commanding general in the execution of his military duties, as in issuing and executing orders, receiving and registering reports, regulating details of the service, etc.
- n. Eccles., a title mistakenly given by translators to the assistants of the general of the Jesuits. See assistant, 3.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a general's adjutant; chief administrative officer
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.