from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Any of various fishes lacking jaws, including the hagfishes and the lampreys and many extinct groups, such as the ostracoderms.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun an eel-shaped vertebrate without jaws or paired appendages; a member of the Agnatha. The group includes the cyclostomes and some extinct forms.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective zoology Belonging or pertaining to the superclass
Agnatha, the jawless vertebrates.
- noun zoology A member of the superclass
Agnathaof jawless vertebrates.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun eel-shaped vertebrate without jaws or paired appendages including the cyclostomes and some extinct forms
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[a– + Greek gnathos, jaw; see genu- in Indo-European roots + –an.]
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
From Agnatha, from Ancient Greek ἀ- (a-, "without") + γνάθος (gnathos, "jaw")
Prototypic T cell receptor and CD4-like coreceptor are expressed by lymphocytes in the agnathan sea lamprey.