from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The name of a person, usually a historical person, assumed by a writer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the name of another person taken by an author as a pen name. Compare pseudonym.
- n. a work published under a name that is not that of the author.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The name of another person assumed by the author of a work.
- n. A work published under the name of some one other than the author.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name other than the true one; an alias; a pseudonym.
French allonyme : Greek allos, other; see allo- + Greek onoma, name; see nŏ̄-men- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French allonyme, allo- + -nym. (Wiktionary)