from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See eggplant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. an Asian plant, Solanum melongena, cultivated for its edible purple, green, or white ovoid fruit
- n. the fruit of this plant, eaten as a vegetable
- n. a dark purple colour; eggplant.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The fruit of the egg-plant, Solanum Melongena; the brinjal.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. egg-shaped vegetable having a shiny skin typically dark purple but occasionally white or yellow
- n. hairy upright herb native to southeastern Asia but widely cultivated for its large glossy edible fruit commonly used as a vegetable
French, from Catalan albergina, from Arabic al-bāḏinjān, the eggplant, from Persian bādenjān, bādengān.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowing from French aubergine, from Catalan albergínia, from Arabic الباذِنْجان (al-baðinjān), the eggplant, from Persian بادنگان (bâdengân), from باتنگان (bâtengân), from Sanskrit वातिगगम (vātiga-gama, "eggplant"). (Wiktionary)