from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The place where an almoner resides or where alms are distributed.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun The place where an almoner resides, or where alms are distributed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A building in which
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The two heavy halls on the lowest level are now called the almonry and the cellar, which is a distinction between administrative arrangements that does not concern us.
In the meantime we proceed with the _locale_ of Caxton's house, situate on the south-west of Westminster Abbey, where was formerly the eleemosynary, or almonry, where the alms of the abbots were distributed.
The _old_ chapel of St. Anne stood in the New-way, near the back of the workhouse, at the bottom of the almonry leading to what is now called
The place wherein this chapel and alms-house standeth was called the Elemosinary, or almonry, now corruptly the ambry, for that the alms of the Abbey were there distributed to the poor; and therein Islip, abbot of Westminster, erected the first press of book-printing that ever was in England, about the year of Christ 1471.
Wynkyn de Worde was sometime schoolmaster of Saint Alban's, and Lady Juliana Berners 'famous volume issued from the Abbey Press, while Caxton was still pursuing his craft in the almonry of another monastery at Westminster.
The almonry was one of the courts of the abbey, (situated directly west of the abbey-church, and not east, as Dr. Dibdin surmised); it contained a chapel dedicated to
The almonry was not merely "within the precincts of the abbey," it was actually a part of the abbey.
This porter's gate was in existence during the last century, but now both it and the cathedral almonry that used to stand near by have disappeared.
Stow distinctly says it was in the almonry of the abbey; and the handbill Dr. Rimbault refers to confirms that fact.
Westminster who allowed William Caxton to set up his press in the almonry within the abbey of Westminster, was probably John Esteney, who became abbot in the year 1475, and died in 1498.