from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Capable of relieving or suppressing coughing.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A cough suppressant or a drug that inhibits coughing.
- adj. Having cough suppressant abilities.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. having ability to to suppress or relieve coughing; -- of chemical substances.
- n. a medicament used to suppress or relieve coughing; an antitussive substance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Preventing or relieving cough.
- n. Any agent which possesses this property.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any medicine used to suppress or relieve coughing
How about the Contac commercial that compared other cold remedies by describing one as containing an "antitussive" and another an "analgesic, not present in Contac."
Cough syrup (antitussive, to quiet a cough) - 37.2%.
Hydrocodone is an antitussive cough suppressant and analgesic agent for the treatment of moderate to moderately severe pain.
Cough syrup antitussive, to quiet a cough - 37.2%.
Do not give antitussive medicines: expensive and sometimes dangerous.
In addition, she had dextromethorphan on board, which is an antitussive found in numerous over-the-counter cough suppressants.
BC1036, also known as theobromine, is the highly-anticipated antitussive drug candidate that Pernix management had yet to disclose the name of but previously noted could have enormous potential.
Codeine has been widely regarded as the most effective antitussive and is the API for cough suppression in several popular brand name and generic prescription medicines including Robitussin AC and Dimetane DC.
Theobromine BC1036 is an antitussive drug candidate in late-stage development that addresses the significant need for a non-opioid, non-codeine treatment for persistent cough.
The parent molecule, noscapine, a plant-derived antitussive alkaloid has been recently found to have anticancer activity