from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A decoration or ornament, as in needlework, made by cutting pieces of one material and applying them to the surface of another.
- transitive verb To decorate by cutting pieces of one material and applying them to the surface of another.
from The Century Dictionary.
- In modern dress and upholstery, applied or sewed on, or produced in this way.
- More generally, said of one material, as metal, fixed upon another, in ornamental work: as, an enameled disk appliqué upon a surface of filigree, an ivory figure appliqué upon a Japanese lacquer, and the like.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Ornamented with a pattern (which has been cut out of another color or stuff)
appliedor transferred to a foundation
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun art Alternative spelling of
- verb transitive, art Alternative spelling of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- verb sew on as a decoration
- noun a decorative design made of one material sewn over another
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[French, past participle of appliquer, to apply, from Latin applicāre, to affix; see apply.]
Sorry, no example sentences found.