from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adverb With a leg on each side.
- adverb With the legs wide apart.
- preposition On or over and with a leg on each side of.
- preposition Situated on both sides of.
- preposition Lying across or over; spanning.
from The Century Dictionary.
- With one leg on each side of some object; with the legs wide apart.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adverb With one leg on each side, as a man when on horseback; with the legs stretched wide apart; astraddle.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adverb With one’s
legson either side.
- preposition With one’s
legson either sideof.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adverb with the legs stretched far apart
- adverb with one leg on each side
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
He gave me quite a lecture on the dangers of the side-saddle, and said very earnestly that women ought to ride "astride" (at that time this was a thing _incompris_ in England).
His base sat astride the York River, including Yorktown on the south bank and Gloucester Point on the north.
Bring back the virtuous knight in his armor, astride a noble steed.
And it is delivered to your door by Don Quixote astride a unicorn.
The demon-king Rawana bares his fangs and pops his eyes astride his horrific mount Wilmana.
By June of the next year, astride the horse of sovereignty, he had become the favorite to win the Ukrainian presidency.
Bianca Jagger famously wore his shoes for her entrance into Studio 54, sitting astride a white charger; the Princess of Wales was a fan; and the "Sex and the City" character Carrie Bradshaw had such a predilection for his heels that "Manolos" became a household name.
Someone let loose with a blood curdling rebel yell, and a woman tore off her shirt, and climbed astride her boyfriend's shoulders, waving her arms wildly over her head.
Find me reading shadows rocking astride empty words and neverhours.
There is a touch astride the belly that feeds unsated flesh.