from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Originating or formed in the place where found; indigenous: synonym: native.
- adjective Ecology Native to or produced within a system.
from The Century Dictionary.
- In petrol., noting rocks which have originated in situ, such as peat, rock-salt, and stalagmitic limestone; also applied to constituent minerals of rocks which have crystallized in the place they now occupy. Autochthonous materials are contrasted with the mechanically derived particles of clastic rocks.
- Pertaining to autochthons; indigenous; sprung from the soil; aboriginal.
- In pathology, not extraneous; originating at the place where found.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
Nativeto the place where found; indigenous.
- adjective biology, medicine
- adjective geology
Buriedin place, especially of a fossilpreserved in its life position without disturbanceor disarticulation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective of rocks, deposits, etc.; found where they and their constituents were formed
- adjective originating where it is found
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
But it was 14-year-old David Tidmarsh of South Bend, Indiana who spelled the final word autochthonous to become this year's champion.
There is a very distinct tendency for people of British birth (and now we are using British in another sense of the word) to think of British democracy as something which is their particular property, a kind of autochthonous English growth transported by the English and the Scots to less fortunate portions of the globe.
What follows are his juicy thoughts on the dollar and wine prices, strikes, the summer from hell, Greek wines, the word of the day ( "autochthonous"), and why he's drinking rosé all year long.
b. - by consecuence 85 % are not and a huge porcentage are "autochthonous" and the others are a mix of indigenous and spanish descendants. so even if hollywood represent Mexicans like domestic servants, gardeners and delinquents is very important precise what part of this "society" belongs to.
Heroes emerge as autochthonous beings from the nation/state, rising up to defend it in its time of need.
Given that they are a fair approximation of pre-Christian european traditions, an argument could be made that they are, in fact, autochthonous (or sprung from theearth) ....
I think it's probably best not to get me started on what I really think of the Bonfantes' idea that the Etruscans were autochthonous.
Lors des championnats les plus récents, les mots qui ont permis aux gagnants de remporter la victoire ont été pococurante, autochthonous, appoggiatura, ursprache, serrefine, guerdon et Laodicean.
The winning words in recent competitions have included: pococurante; autochthonous; appoggiatura; ursprache; serrefine; guerdon; Laodicean.
Given that they are a fair approximation of pre-Christian european traditions, an argument could be made that they are, in fact, autochthonous or sprung from theearth....