from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having the quality or fragrance of balm; soothing.
- adj. Mild and pleasant: a balmy breeze.
- adj. Chiefly British Slang Eccentric in behavior.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Producing balm.
- adj. Soothing or fragrant.
- adj. Mild and pleasant.
- adj. Foolish; slightly crazy or mad; eccentric.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having the qualities of balm; odoriferous; aromatic; assuaging; soothing; refreshing; mild.
- adj. Producing balm.
- adj. Highly eccentric or crazy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having the qualities of balm; aromatic; fragrant.
- Producing balm: as, “the balmy tree,”
- Soft; soothing; assuaging; refreshing.
- Of healing virtue; healing: as, balmy medicines.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. mild and pleasant
- adj. informal or slang terms for mentally irregular
He had been sun-bathed in balmy weather, and brought in out of the wet when it rained.
I'm so glad I moved here from Texas, where it's nice and balmy from the global warming.
It's officially autumn today, but it still feels like summer here in balmy southern Ontario.
The attendant of the room was sleeping like a near relative of the celebrated Seven, and nothing short of pins would rouse him; for he had been out that day, and whiskey asserted its supremacy in balmy whiffs.
It was accompanied by a voice so enchantingly tender and melodious, that its sounds fell on the heart of Osbert in balmy comfort: it seemed sent by Heaven to arrest his fate: – the storm of passion was hushed within him, and he dissolved in kind tears of pity and contrition.
The last week or so had seen a rise in temperatures to the 80s, described as balmy and August-like.
DH said today felt "balmy" in comparison since we had a high of around 10 degrees F. Joy.
Although Aillaud describes the weather as "balmy" on this November day, the temperature is 12 degrees, and the 22 mph wind makes it feel colder.
But looking in advance of the front, we do have a lot of moisture coming into areas of New England making for cloudy kind of balmy weather.
St James Park in Exeter has proven to be some kind of balmy Big Freeze-defying oasis this weekend.