from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A device or structure, such as a drawbridge, counterbalanced so that when one end is lowered the other is raised.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. a counterbalanced structure having one end that rises as the other lowers

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. In mechanics, an apparatus on the principle of the seesaw, in which one end rises as the other falls.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. An arrangement in bridges by which one portion balances another.
  • n. A form of bailing-scoop.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a structure or device in which one end is counterbalanced by the other (on the principle of the seesaw)


French, seesaw : bas, low (from Medieval Latin bassus) + cul, bottom (from Latin cūlus, rump.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
French seesaw (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • When Ernest was young and in school
    The boy was a nerd en capsule.
    Since one of his whims
    Was strange synonyms
    A seesaw he'd call a bascule.

    Find out more about Ernest Bafflewit

    June 22, 2016

  • JM is fabricating a miniscule bascule from drawings that won't fall down.

    September 12, 2010

  • bascule – the natural round arc a horse's body takes as it goes over a jump

    July 14, 2008