from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun One that gives aid, especially financial aid.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun Literally, a well-doer; one who does good.
- noun One who confers a benefit; a kindly helper: as, “the great benefactor of mankind,”
- noun One who makes a benefaction to or endows a charitable or other institution; one who makes a bequest.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun One who confers a benefit or benefits.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun Somebody who gives one a
gift. Usually refers to someone who gives moneyto a charityor another form of organization.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a person who helps people or institutions (especially with financial help)
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Again, it's probably not illegal, but you'd think that whoever's taking the money would want to know that their benefactor is an anti-Semitic, homophobic whack-job with delusions of grandeur, not to mention the cosmic e-mail box for Hitler and Stalin.
June 2004 2004
Voxlauer watches as his Jewish friend and benefactor is driven to ruin.
Hm. Depends on whether son/nephew/nepotism-benefactor is getting a paycheck or not.
Then, a shadowy benefactor from the east made a copy available to me.
And that our ally and former benefactor is significantly stronger than us and all the non allied nations is as it should be.
And I'm pretty sure that my mysterious benefactor is someone who reads this journal.
Barnstorming on an Invisible Segway marykaykare 2008
West of Scotland supplied with work by a benevolent aristocrat, his expectation that a grateful peasantry will bless their benefactor is rudely dashed (II, 32).
To boil his career, beliefs, and impact down to a rich benefactor is to discredit a great contributor to American history.
For I have beheld the atrocities committed by the one we call a benefactor.
Shadow Hunters Christie Golden 2007
The main benefactor from abroad has, since 1924, been the Rockefeller philanthropic empire.