from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun subjective aesthetic quality of out-of-focus areas of an image projected by a camera lens


from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From Japanese 暈け (boke, "blur"), the nominalized form of the verb 暈ける (bokeru, "to blur").



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • The areas in a photograph that are out of focus. Reportedly a borrowing from a Japanese word "??" 'blur'. I can only guess that the spelling with h is to avoid the /bo?k/ pronuncation.

    "I'll go against the grain, at the risk of getting flamed, and say that the bokeh is nice from this lens, but far from 'the best ever'." -- Canonosaurus Rex on Flickr

    June 28, 2009

  • “Fujifilm says its $280 FinePix F70EXR and $600 FinePix S200EXR use its advanced EXR sensor and multiframe technology to enable users to simulate the wide-aperture background blurs (or bokeh) of D.S.L.R. cameras.�?

    The New York Times, Fujifilm Adds EXR Sensor to Super-Zooms, by Rik Fairlie, July 22, 2009

    July 24, 2009