from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A game played by rolling a ball down a wooden alley in order to knock down a triangular group of ten pins. Also called tenpins.
- n. A similar game, such as duckpins or ninepins.
- n. Lawn bowling.
- n. The playing of one of these games.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of bowl.
- n. A game played by rolling a ball down an alley and trying to knock over a triangular group of ten pins; ten-pin bowling
- n. candlepin bowling
- n. Several similar games played indoors or outdoors.
- n. The action of propelling the ball towards the batsman.
- n. A particular style of walking associated with urban street culture.
- n. The action of the verb bowl.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of playing at or rolling bowls, or of rolling the ball at cricket; the game of bowls or of tenpins.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In dyeing, the washing of fabrics by passing them over rollers in a vessel of water.
- n. The act of playing with or at bowls.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a game in which balls are rolled at an object or group of objects with the aim of knocking them over or moving them
- n. (cricket) the act of delivering a cricket ball to the batsman
- n. the playing of a game of tenpins or duckpins etc
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Here and there, indeed, were smooth patches which we called bowling-greens, but hard and slippery as polished marble, with much the same translucent appearance.
So, pride be damned, he takes gigs in bowling alleys and nowheresville bars and clubs.
Playing bowling is one of the best pastimes that we should for some time, and Sheldon and Wil also plays in the new episode of Big Bang Theory The Wheaton …
Once a big country-music star, he now drives himself around the Southwest playing one-night gigs at local bars, some of them located in bowling alleys.
The gameplay of Wii sports bowling is implemented through VI Bowling with a novel motor-learning feature that allows players to find the direction in which to throw their ball using vibrotactile feedback.
Probably as the Australian bowling is not good at test level.
But once you get that under control, bowling is easy. fostert says:
She talks about going bowling on an off day during the filming of “New Moon” — candlepin bowling, it sounds like from her description — and how difficult it was to keep score without the electronic aids present at most bowling alleys: “They handed me a piece of paper and a pencil, and I had to do the score by hand,” she says incredulously.
He beat his life skills coach in bowling, 96-71, Barnes says proudly.
If your playing with your own balls, bowling is heterosexual.