from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Plural form of bowl.
- n. A precision sport where the goal is to roll biased balls (weighted on one side, and called bowls) closer to a smaller white ball (the jack or kitty) than one's opponent is able to do.
- n. A ball used in the game of bowls
- v. Third-person singular simple present indicative form of bowl.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n.pl. See bowl, a ball, a game.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A game played with bowls on a bowling-green: applied also to skittles or ninepins (which see).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a bowling game played on a level lawn with biased wooden balls that are rolled at a jack
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I particularly like the bowls sold at www. gooseberrypatch.com Just type in "bowls" in the search area, and you'll see what I mean.
My other mode of coping with this -- other than showing people where things are and instructing them to help themselves, I mean -- is to put not-very-perishable fruit out on the counter in bowls where it will be an explicit invitation.
Under coach Fisher DeBerry, the Falcons went 37-12, including 2-1 in bowls, with a 12-1 season in 1998 as a highlight.
Cougars went 77-12, including 4-3 in bowls, winning the 1984 national title and seven Western Athletic Conference titles under coach LaVell Edwards, and becoming Quarterback U with Marc Wilson,
We used halloween as an excuse, but we did boxes with food items in bowls hidden under boxes.
They served the soup in bowls and followed the soup up with the ‘dry’, the same kind of thing that was in the soup on a plate.
Dutch artist Geke Wouters has created a stunning collection of paper-thin bowls made from carrots, peppers, beet root, leeks, tomatoes, and other vegetables.
The PAC 10 was 5-0 in bowls, but Oregon State beating Pitt 3-0 is not something to brag about, Cal over Miami is not that impressive because Miami was bad, and Arizona beating the third place Mountain West team (BYU) is not exactly a monumental upset.
It is good idea to take porcelain bowls and to place floating candle inside.
I put water on to boil and go searching for a coffee cup; instead I find a stack of porcelain bowls and am reminded that the French still drink their café-au-lait from a bol* just as they still eat their cake with a spoon and not a fork.