from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. One that brays, especially a donkey.
  • n. Printing A small hand roller used to spread ink thinly and evenly.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A hand printing roller used in to spread a thin even layer of ink.
  • n. One who brays, or makes the sound of a donkey.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. An implement for braying and spreading ink in hand printing.
  • n. One that brays like an ass.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. In printing, a small composition-roller used for triturating and spreading the ink on a table or slab and daubling it on a platen or disk.
  • n. One who or that which brays like an ass.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • "Place the wet paper on the cabinet. Use a soft, wet brayer to squeegee out the bubbles. Using wet fingers to smooth out the paper also works."

    - Warhol Kitchen.

    September 7, 2009

  • Not a donkey, but a small hand roller, typically used in printmaking to spread ink.

    September 24, 2007