from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. An inclined trough in which crushed ore is washed with running water to flush away impurities.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. An apparatus on which crushed ore is washed.
  • v. To use a buddle.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. An apparatus, especially an inclined trough or vat, in which stamped ore is concentrated by subjecting it to the action of running water so as to wash out the lighter and less valuable portions.
  • intransitive v. To wash ore in a buddle.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • In mining, to wash (ore); separate (the metalliferous ores) from earthy matters by means of an inclined hutch called a buddle, over which water flows.
  • To suffocate; drown.
  • n. See boodle.
  • n. In mining, a contrivance for dressing ore, or separating the metalliferous portion from the earthy gangue.
  • n. Same as boodle.


Probably from Low German buddeln, to agitate.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • In mining, a shallow trough in which metalliferous ore is separated from gangue using running water. Also used as a verb, meaning to wash (ore) in such a trough.

    August 28, 2008