from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Worthless rock or other material in which valuable minerals are found.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The earthy waste substances occurring in metallic ore.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The mineral or earthy substance associated with metallic ore.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In mining, the non-metalliferous or earthy minerals accompanying the ore in a vein or mineral deposit; the part of a lode which is not called ore, or which has no commercial value; veinstone.
- n. In mineral analysis, the foreign material or impurity present with the mineral under examination.
French, from German Gang, lode, from Middle High German ganc, from Old High German gang, a going.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)