American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A card game for two to six players, related to rummy and requiring two or three decks of cards.
- n. uncountable, games, card games A card game similar to rummy and played using two packs, where the object is to meld groups of the same rank.
- n. countable, card games A meld of seven cards in a game of canasta.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a form of rummy using two decks and four jokers; jokers and deuces are wild; the object is to meld groups of seven of the same rank.
- n. a form of rummy using two decks of cards and four jokers; jokers and deuces are wild; the object is to form groups of the same rank
- From Spanish canasta. The game originates from Uruguay. (Wiktionary)
- Spanish, from canasto, basket, from Latin canistrum; see canister. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“I think the term is also used in canasta, which is also not in the same league as bridge.”
“Ten percent of the "canasta" is comprised of imported goods.”
“I think the term is also used in canasta, which is also not in the same league as bridge.byomtovQuote”
“But when the helicopter returned yesterday and started making its rounds back and forth and back and forth with his little "canasta" for water I figured in some form or fashion it had gotten out of hand and the gobierno had intervened.”
“When I was younger I was a habitual finger tapper when I was concentrating, making me an infuriating person to play canasta with.”
“No wonder the other players feel queasy as they sit in the background pretending to play canasta and desperately hoping the ambassador will send in some chocolate before JT begins fluttering his eyelashes and giggling coquettishly about his ice cubes melting.”
“I've seen more young people than that at Larry King's canasta parties.”
“And if by chance they have the queso de canasta, a superb white cheese in a woven basket, go for it! donemry”
“We enjoyed the canasta rellena - taco salad in a basket (45 pesos).”
“After breakfast I'd go back to Grandma's house and she'd be making pierogis for the ladies who were coming to play canasta in the afternoon.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘canasta’.
With bows of great respect to Connie Willis, author of "Bellwether" and other wonderful books.
Randomness time! Add your own words. ❤
Words that have only one of the vowels. On this list I include only words with at least three vowels. When I first started the list, if a word had several forms, I generally listed only the one wit...
The Decemberists tend to use a lot of interesting words in their songs.
my favorite words from my favorite songs. or: why i love colin meloy & joanna newsom.
words I like with little or no rationalization
i am still copying down lists but i am in the 5th grade and got fourth in the spelling bee out of 26 people, the word i missed was candelabra, well next year i will win because now i know the words
Words I like the sound of.
Words containing "asta".
Words that have come in the previous papers
Various words that have appeared in the lyrics of songs by the Decemberists.
A contemplation of the indo european root meaning of meldh-.
All lists are melds.
Looking for tweets for canasta.