American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A Brazilian ballroom dance of African origin.
- n. Music in duple meter for performing this dance.
- v. To perform this dance.
- n. A Brazilian ballroom dance.
- v. To dance the samba.
- v. dance the samba
- n. large west African tree having large palmately lobed leaves and axillary cymose panicles of small white flowers and one-winged seeds; yields soft white to pale yellow wood
- n. music composed for dancing the samba
- n. a lively ballroom dance from Brazil
- n. a form of canasta using three decks of cards and six jokers
- Portuguese (Wiktionary)
- Portuguese, possibly of African origin. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The word samba means to dance and invoke the African spirits.”
“Gentle passages soon yielded to vigorous ones, and the word samba'' lost its cool when turned into a football-style chant.”
“By Anonymous, at 11: 16 PM samba is based on windows file sharing. mac hasn't been too great with windows file sharing. finally a communist company is a contradiction.”
“They struck up "Porta Romana bella, Porta Romana" in samba beat.”
“Curimin's style is sometimes called samba-funk, and it incorporates many jazz, bossa nova, and hip hop elements as well.”
“We haven't done the samba yet, so I think the samba will be a challenge for him.”
“We made it toward a parade with bands playing, streamers waving, people dancing in ways I´ve never seen it´s called samba! and the caparinhas FLOWING!”
“By playing jembe, you have to use a dundun drum, which is a very heavy base, and then you use another tone -- another instrument called a samba (ph), which is used to harmonize the music with it.”
“If you've seen pictures of Carnival, chances are they were taken at these neighborhood camps known as "samba schools" during the parades where cariocas somehow manage to simultaneously wear extravagant costumes while staying relatively naked.”
“The true surprise was the sad and beautiful "All Would Envy," a song written in 1999 that didn't make it onto the album "Brand New Day," but with its steady beat recalling a samba and”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘samba’.
A list generated by Phrontistery
which I wanted to have along with my own lists on Wordnik
The Moves. Do~do~ditty!
list of music genres - anything. even the most obscure sub-genres of sub-genres
I was tragically born with an extra left foot. If I weren't so debilitated, this would be my to-do list.
Just what it sounds like. My favorites. Five letters.
No rhyme or reason other than that I like the names. :-) For more flower fun, see these lists:
Rose words by mollusque
Rose varieties by mollusque
Tulip Names II: You Know ...
Styles of dance
About folk, dancing styles, music styles, popular songs, etc.
Acerca del folclore, bailes, estilos musicales, canciones populares, etc.
Looking for tweets for samba.