from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A ballroom dance of Dominican and Haitian folk origin, characterized by a sliding step.
- n. Music for this dance, in rapid 2/4 time.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of music common in the Caribbean.
- n. A song performed in this style.
- v. To dance to merengue music.
American Spanish, from Spanish, meringue, from French méringue.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Spanish merengue (Wiktionary)