from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A tool used to burnish, for making smooth and shiny by rubbing.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. One who burnishes.
  • n. A tool with a hard, smooth, rounded end or surface, as of steel, ivory, or agate, used in smoothing or polishing by rubbing. It has a variety of forms adapted to special uses.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. One who burnishes or polishes.
  • n. A tool of various shapes and material, but commonly with a smooth, slightly convex head, used for polishing in various processes and operations, as in porcelain-painting, dentistry, etc.
  • n. An instrument of tempered steel, with slightly curved polished sides and rounded point, used by etchers and line-engravers to remove roughnesses, scratches, and stains from the surface of a metal plate.
  • n. In shoemaking, a polishing-machine which holds the shoe firmly while a heated steel tool is pressed with force against the heel or sole, previously moistened with a preparation of varnish.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.