from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A noisy concert, characterized by beating of tin pans, blowing of horns, shouts, groans, catcalls, etc.: usually given as a serenade to persons who have excited local ridicule or hostility; a charivari.
- noun One who takes part in such a concert.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective United States Of, pertaining to, or resembling, a callithump.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective US Of, relating to, or resembling a
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective of or relating to a callithump
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
He had been entertaining a regular callithumpian parade of Red Cross commissioners from America, and he probably felt that he had seen the worst and that this was just another cross.
Cabarets, bean-counting contests, lotteries and callithumpian methods generally marked a period in Canada's recruiting history not pleasant to review, and which brought discredit upon the entire voluntary enlistment system as a permanent method of filling up armies.
New comments are temporarily disabled while we update our database.