from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To overturn or cause to overturn: The boat capsized; I capsized the canoe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To overturn.
- v. To cause (a ship) to overturn.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- v. To upset or overturn, as a vessel or other body.
- n. An upset or overturn.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To turn over or upset: as, take care that the boat does not capsize.
- To upset; overturn (a boat or vessel).
- To move (a hogshead or other vessel) forward by turning it alternately on the heads.
- n. An upset; an overturn.
- See the extract.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. overturn accidentally
The term "capsize" only means that the ship has turned over from its normal upright position.
We were careened at a dangerous angle when I awoke and in my reduced condition it was not difficult to imagine that a capsize was to be the result.
Rep. Hank Johnson, a Georgia Democrat, his bizarre question about the island of Guam possibly tipping over-he used the word "capsize" - if additional troops were stationed there became a It's no April Fools 'Day joke: the 55-year-old congressman and member of the House Democratic leadership told a naval officer who was testifying on March 25 that: "My fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize."
Congressman Johnson seen here speaking about his fears Guam could 'capsize'
He expressed his fear that the Guam might "capsize" as a result of the United States military's presence on the island.
Hank Johnson a marine build-up could "capsize" the island of Guam.
Johnson]] of [[Georgia]], who feared that the relocation of 8,000 Naval personnel to [[Guam]] would "capsize" the island.
This is a body where a member seriously thinks the Island of Guam might capsize .....
– This is a body where a member seriously thinks the Island of Guam might capsize ...
Frank Drackman: This is a body where a member seriously thinks the Island of Guam might capsize .....