from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Alternative spelling of castoff.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Cast or laid aside; thrown away; discarded.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Laid aside; rejected: as, cast-off livery.
- n. In firearms, the outward bend of a gun-stock, by which the line of sight is brought inward to meet the eye more readily.
- n. In printing, the computation of the particular space to be allowed for each column or division of a table, a piece of music, or the like: as, to pass the cast-off (that is, to communicate to other compositors the result of such a computation).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make the last row of stitches when knitting
- v. get rid of
- adj. thrown away
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I remember the day that our cast-off, lovingly rehabbed Ampex color videotape machine finally "synced up" (or "locked up") and started working.
Still, very gradually, the days became unglued, loosening and flapping in the wind that swept the desert in a turmoil of cast-off spines and seed pods.
The trees, he soon came to realize, were not trees at all, but rather the cast-off antlers of the caribou, though far larger than any antlers he had ever seen before.
It did not help that his favorite companion was a cast-off girl called Little Mouse who had a way with vermin.
Pushed through the mess to rifle among the cast-off treasures.
It meant very few clothes – a patched skirt and shirt of her mother's, her father's cast-off thermal underwear when they were in the wash.
Fortunately, the company has an existing back-up plan for cast-off characters with an existing marketing campaign: Dazzler joined the X-Men.
As has always been true, the coexistence of idling workplaces and cast-off workers remains the single most severe indictment of capitalism as a system for the reproduction of human society.
Leith Clay-Randolph threw his glamour over her for fifteen long minutes, whilst I brooded with my cigar, and then she fluttered back with vague words and the suggestion of a cast-off suit I would never miss.
He let her go off into the woods alone and remained where he was, studying the cast-off piece of the deer carcass.