from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Spun or woven in the home.
- adjective Made of a homespun fabric.
- adjective Simple and homely; unpretentious.
- noun A plain, coarse, usually woolen cloth made of homespun yarn.
- noun A similar sturdy fabric made on a power loom.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Spun or wrought at home; of domestic manufacture.
- Hence Of domestic origin; plain; familiar; commonplace.
- noun Cloth made at home; home-made clothing.
- noun A coarse and loosely woven woolen material, made in imitation of actual home-made cloth.
- noun A coarse, unpolished, or rustic person.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Spun or wrought at home; of domestic manufacture; coarse; plain.
- adjective Plain in manner or style; not elegant; rude; coarse.
- noun Cloth made at home.
- noun obsolete An unpolished, rustic person.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective of yarn
Spunin the home.
- adjective of fabric
Wovenin the home.
- adjective of clothing, etc. Made from homespun
- adjective by extension
Plainand homely; unsophisticatedand unpretentious.
- noun Fabric made from homespun yarn.
- noun obsolete An
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective of textiles; having a rough surface
- noun a rough loosely woven fabric originally made with yarn that was spun at home
- adjective characteristic of country life
- adjective made of cloth spun or woven in the home
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.