from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The presiding judge of a high court having several judges, especially the US Supreme Court.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- The presiding justice, or principal judge, of a court.
- The presiding judge of the Queen's Bench Division of the High Court of Justice. The highest judicial officer of the realm is the Lord High Chancellor.
- the presiding judge of the Supreme Court, and Highest judicial officer of the republic.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun the judge who presides over a supreme court
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.