from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The branch of zoology that deals with the study of mollusks and shells.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the study of molluscs and their shells
- n. the hobby of shell collecting
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The science of Mollusca, and of the shells which they form; malacology.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The science of shells and shell-fish.
- n. The word came into use when mollusks were chiefly studied with reference to their shells. Since increased attention has been given to the structure of the soft parts of mollusks, the term conchology is frequently replaced by malacology (which see). Shells were formerly divided into three orders, univalves, bivalves, and multivalves, according to the number of parts of which they are composed.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the collection and study of mollusc shells
Sorry, no etymologies found.
In the end, the natural-history collection earned the approval of some of America’s top scientists, including Silliman, who praised Wood’s thoroughness: “Mr. Wood was indefatigable for many months in completing the herpetology of China; the conchology is fully represented,” and there are “some remarkably fine carbonates of copper, both nodular and radiated.”
"Why can't you call things by their right names, and say 'conchology'?" asked Ernest quietly.
Conchology, Inc. - Official Shell Website (French, German) www. conchology.be
We have dedicated it to the founder of the section Ameria, a gentleman well known for his deep researches in conchology.
General conchology; or, A description of shells, arranged according to the Linnean system.
Not so modern conchology, but fully digitized neve...
SNAIL'S TALES: Not so modern conchology, but fully digitized nevertheless skip to main
There are, however, a whole bunch of 19th century conchology books Google has scanned and most of which are undoubtedly more original than the one Poe put together.
Not so modern conchology, but fully digitized nevertheless
The elements of modern conchology: briefly and plainly stated, for the use of students and travellers.